Adding a New WordPress User
There are several reason you may want to add additional users to your WordPress site. The main reason though is that you want another individual to help you out with adding content, or helping to manage your website. Fortunately its relatively easy to add users and manage how they are able to affect your site.
Adding A User
On the left hand navigation panel, click on the Users link. Then click add new at the top. You are then prompted to add the new user’s username, email, first and lat name, and password (Click show password to change it). The last important choice is the role they will play on your website. This is very important, following is a list of the roles and what they can do.
- Subscriber – Can only leave comments
- Contributor – Can edits posts, but can’t publish them
- Author – Can edit, publish and delete their posts, as well as upload files/images
- Editor – Can view, edit, publish, and delete any posts/pages, moderate comments, manage categories, manage tags, manage links and upload files/images (Assign with caution)
- Administrator – Has full and complete ownership of a website, and can do absolutely everything. This person has complete power over posts/pages, comments, settings, themes, plugins, import, users – everything. Nothing is off-limits, including deleting everything (You probably don’t want to use this one)
Adding new users allows you to assign others: partners, employees, etc. to help you out with the writing of posts, moderating contents, and pretty much anything you can do with WordPress yourself.